Welcome to Sarah Server Community

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cryspee

[Rant] What it's like being a woman on an mmo

I don't usually participate on the forums but I feel a need to rant on here. Sorry if this kind of content is not allowed or whatever, feel free to delete this post (mods) if it violates any rules.

I often wonder to myself why there aren't more women who play, but then I quickly get reeled back into the reality of the mmo world and why some women might not feel comfortable playing long term. Of course, this might just be me, but I've experienced a lot of rude and inappropriate remarks to feel justified to wonder if it's not just me. And I'm pretty sure it's not just me.

I understand that many men on this server are skeptical of girl characters, that they are actually men playing them. It probably is true 90% of the time. I don't mind if I'm asked if I'm a girl or guy. I answer truthfully because there's honestly nothing to hide. And more often than not I am met with skepticism, and that they believe I'm a guy. That's fine. I honestly don't care if you think I'm a man. What does it matter to me? People can believe what they want, and it doesn't change the fact of what I know and who I am. And I get it. Like I said, 90% of the pop. are men.

But for the love of god. For the 1-10% of this population that are female. Don't ask weird questions for us to "prove" that we are women. For example, when our first menstruation was. What our breast sizes are. At what age our breasts started growing. It's no wonder there aren't many women who play if they are constantly met with these uncomfortable, inappropriate and rude questions. And even if we answer, what does that prove? Nothing. I can say I'm a DD cup and I could still be lying. These questions only warrant female players to walk away and some even get turned off from playing the game at all.

It may be a cultural thing, and these questions might just be the norm in some cultures, I don't know. But please. If someone asks you to stop asking them these questions because it makes them feel uncomfortable, then stop. It's the polite thing to do, and you'll probably make (girl)friends a lot easier this way. Just be considerate.

/endrant

Ignore them if they ask you questions like that. Keep your circle small but don't be rude. That's what i would tell you. This is a video game, and most guys think that this is their world, that they own it, that we don't have what it takes to play it and/or enjoy it.

This things i can tolerate btw, what i can't tolerate is if they offer gifts and things and stuff to get your attention. I mean, dude, just be nice and i'll be nice to you, i'll accommodate you, we'll chat and all, but you don't have to give me anything, 'cause i can farm and grind as much as you can farm and grind. Lady gamers aren't damsells in distress. So yea!

Hi Park Bom! Eh, eh, eh, eh, eh, eh, eh..2ne1! :P Now it's playing in my head again, just like when we had our Orc Dungeon party! :P

Jha, cryspee, Siegmund and 2 others like this

But for the love of god. For the 1-10% of this population that are female. Don't ask weird questions for us to "prove" that we are women. For example, when our first menstruation was. What our breast sizes are. At what age our breasts started growing. It's no wonder there aren't many women who play if they are constantly met with these uncomfortable, inappropriate and rude questions. And even if we answer, what does that prove? Nothing. I can say I'm a DD cup and I could still be lying. These questions only warrant female players to walk away and some even get turned off from playing the game at all.

It may be a cultural thing, and these questions might just be the norm in some cultures, I don't know. But please. If someone asks you to stop asking them these questions because it makes them feel uncomfortable, then stop. It's the polite thing to do, and you'll probably make (girl)friends a lot easier this way. Just be considerate.

/endrant

You can report those players, just post a screenshot here. :th_go:

This is a video game, and most guys think that this is their world, that they own it, that we don't have what it takes to play it and/or enjoy it.

Always nice to hear from a fellow lady about things like this (eh eh eh eh eh eh eh XD).

But it's a shame that we are supposed to accept these kinds of remarks and mentality as "normal" and "every day" gameplay. I'm not the type who's always in your face about "women should be treated like this and that" but it just seems like it's common sense to respect others if they ask of it, guy or girl. Right??

If you think of it this way, if I met a lot of these players in the real world they certainly would NOT ask me questions of the same inappropriate level so bluntly at first greet. (Obviously they would not ask me to prove I'm a girl because they would see me in the flesh, but you get what I mean)

I still can't accept and understand why there are still players asking what's the other player's gender. Does the gender matter while playing mmo? What's the essence of asking a player what is their gender? Please enlighten me. If the player is a boy, then what? If a girl, then what? I just don't get these people. 

PS: Maybe these pinoys aren't used to playing with girls so they become crazy if ever they found one in game.

I don't mind if I'm asked my gender. I myself am curious too. I think a question like that is pure genuine curiosity. It's natural to want to know more about someone you are playing together with frequently. And I'm sure there are people who are seeking a romantic relationship (no harm in that) and want to know if the person they're potentially interested in is of the gender they prefer. If they ask for proof, I am still not that offended because of the same reasons. But what I don't understand are the kinds of questions asked for proof (which would not prove anything, honestly) and those that harass female players even if they politely decline.

PS. Yes, I probably should have screenshot those comments. I may just do so in the future. But I really just wanted to rant about it, is all ^^

Edited by cryspee

I can't help but react like this:

e4fbbb4270c138377e21b1c0a459c886.jpg

whenever I see someone randomly ask a girl avatar what her IRL gender is, especially when it breaks the kind that breaks the pace of a conversation.  :th_heh:

It's not even that difficult to tell once you spend a little time with people.

ladylove likes this